Pupil Voice and Leadership Roles at Powell's
Here at Powell’s Primary School, we believe that our children are the most important people and we endeavour to give all children lots of opportunities to share their ideas and opinions and play an active role in the decisions that affect their learning and well-being.
We have lots of ways that the children can do this formally through the following leadership groups:
- School council - voted by peers
- House Captains – voted by peers
- Play Leaders – children apply and they are selected by staff
- Sport leaders - children apply and they are selected by staff
- Well being wonders – voted by peers
- French Ambassadors - selected by staff
- Eco Warriors – voted by peers
- Cyber Superstars - children apply and they are selected by staff
- Community ambassadors – voted by peers
- History ambassadors – selected by staff
- Reading ambassadors – application process and chosen by staff
- Librarians – children apply
as well as regular pupil conferencing and taking part in pupil surveys. However, we also work hard to create an ethos that allows the children to regularly share their opinions in an informal way through conversations in class, assemblies and 1:1 conversations with all school staff.
Peer mediators and play leaders
These are our school's friendship and anti-bullying ambassadors.
They are year 6 children who peers can approach if they are having some problems on the playground and they support with play. Any issues are reported to a lunchtime supervisor or our family support worker.
When on the playground, the children wear sashes so they are easily identifiable.
School House Captains
As part of our Pupil Leadership offer, we believe that children need to experience duties and responsibilities that come with being a member of a community in order to help them prepare to play an active role as citizens in the wider world.
The position allows the Year 6 pupils to lead by example and demonstrate their responsibility, it also enables the younger children to learn from a good example.
Each child Year 6 is given the opportunity to apply for the role.
The children then vote in their houses for who they would like to be their house captain.
- Lead and support the children of your House in a variety of House Competitions and whole school events
- Collect, monitor and announce House Points
- Inspire the children of your House
- Be an excellent role model in behaviour, attitude and dress at all times
Powell’s Sport Leaders
At Powell’s we recognise the importance of developing not only the children’s physical capabilities but also their leadership skills.
Our sport leader programme provides our children with the opportunity to work alongside coaches, teachers and peers to learn strong leadership skills.
The Sport leader roles are:
- Organising, sorting and ensuring PE equipment is tidy in the PE cupboard.
- Running/helping run activities at lunch/after school
- Helping to organise events
- Collecting/returning class PE equipment
- Assisting the class teacher in PE